Sunday, February 7, 2016

Tender Mercies

One of the things that Nephi points out in the first chapter of Nephi is "... behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith..."

God is very involved in our lives regardless of if we acknowledge Him or not. This week through my struggles I realized that the world wouldn't end just because I messed up. There were some choice experiences this week.

I have realized recently sharing my testimony makes me happy, so I have been praying for more opportunities to talk with people. On Monday night I was out running some errands before it got too late, and as I was out I realized I was hungry, which wasn't unusual, I had worked all afternoon and I hadn't eaten yet.  I'm standing in a parking lot and one of the nearby places smells really good, so I decided to go in. Upon entering I start talking with the lady behind the counter and talking about my mission. There is one other man inside the food place and after I order, he and I start talking. I learned his brothers had served missions, be was divorced and had 2 kids. He was a truck driver for 8 years, and because of that he knows about LA freeways and the trucker stop of Castaic, California where I served for 3 months. He knows God is mindful of him, even when life is hard. He may not actively participate in a religion, but He knows who he is to God. It was a tender mercy moment for me.

I don't know how Heavenly Father does it, but I am sure grateful. I don't know how he convinces me with food and I meet people, I just know it happens. I don't know how he planned the fact I went to try and buy a dress for the next day and the sizes were all weird.  I spent an hour instead of my anticipated 10 minutes in the store.

Another moment was Friday at the temple. I had assignment on my shift and I started in the Celestial room and a few minutes after I got there, some missionaries entered the room and were signing. They are going to Houston Texas.

Later I was assigned to work in the baptistry and I had finished the work they had for me to do so they told me to check back in in a bit and see if they had more for me to do. I went and asked the assistant shift coordinator if I should go to the veil or in initiatories and she said to check with the initiatory coordinator, and because so many patrons come and participate we were able to open another place for patrons. In the Provo temple they have 6 places they usually do initiatory work, but they have another place where patrons who come for the first time do initiatories. With two sisters and two patrons we went to the additional places and that was special.

While I was there a sister came and said, "We're looking for Amy Roan." and I said, "she wasn't there, but I was Samantha Roan" and she said, "We're looking for you." A deaf couple had come to the temple and I was needed. Earlier in the day I had a feeling I should look into the getting the ASL ordinances passed off and memorized. So I'm a little nervous and I'm taken to the chapel and I meet this sweet couple, welcome them, ask if they want captions or ASL, tell them I'll see them later. A sister I was with then said I should interpret the man who spoke in the chapel, which I did, and I went with them to the room and made sure things went smoothly. Due to them coming I was needed to stay an extra 90 minutes at the temple. I went with the main coordinator and confirmed what I was doing and how I was doing it. I went to help upstairs with patrons until I was needed to meet them again. I wasn't needed for what I was helping with and I had a thought, What about the prayer that is said before I told them I would meet them?  I ask the male coordinator if I could interpret it for the couple and his answer, "I don't see why not." That was this mans answer all night. Can I help the brother just as an interpreter, "I don't see why not." Can I do this, "I don't see why not." It was truly a special experience.

I go to interpret the prayer and I was worried I might have been a few seconds too late to enter the room without disturbing and a man said, "go now, or you'll  miss the opportunity." I entered the room and I didn't get in trouble or interrupt, and it was great. I interpreted the prayer and it was special. I left the room to meet the for the last time and help them, where I originally thought would be the next time I would see them after initially meeting them. It was good. For my first time doing it, it went rather smoothly and I struggled a bit, but I am grateful for the patience of the patrons and other workers at the temple. It is a true group effort.

In December I had gone with a member to the temple from my mission and I saw the struggle as people were trying to communicate but it wasn't really working and everyone was stressed and frustrated. For me I have been wanting to help make sure that this situation doesn't really happen again. I was so grateful for the opportunity to help this couple at the temple, and I was grateful that they came when they needed to, not just on the ASL night. It was good seeing the joy on the mans face as we worked as a team to help with the ordinance.

God knows who we are and where we are. I am certain of this. He will do everything he can to help us, and help us help others. Tender mercies are some of the cherished moments in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I was touched by reading about it from your perspective. I agree God does know who we are and where we are.

    ReplyDelete