Friday, September 2, 2011

Kind of an awkward conversation

So Today my Y group was meeting at the Legends Grill at the student athlete building for lunch. So I had to go to the bathroom. After I ordered my Y group leader was explaining how to get there. So I went through a door that connects to Legacy Hall (the place where all the Olympians who went to BYU stuff is), and I walked where I thought she said the bathroom is.  I wasn't quite sure. So I stopped and there were these two men talking to the receptionist. I had a hard time hearing what they were saying to me and such. But I turned and looked at them and the man on the left was like "what happened to your foot?"
I reply "I had foot surgery."
I thought his next question was "how long ago" so I replied "about three weeks ago"
but I think his (now the man on the left) question was "why'd you have foot surgery?" and so I said "I had a bunion."
The Man on the right asked me if I played sports.
I said, "yes."
He says "what do you play."
I say "soccer"  Then started saying something about if the team was gonna let me play tonight.
"I said I'm not on the team, but I came to a camp here in the summer."
He says "how long have you been playing soccer?"
I said, "I started in may when my school needed a goalie, and I played a couple girls games."
He asked If I had been on my high school team. I said, "the last month of high school"
He started telling me this story about a man who came to BYU (from a third world country) I think, and he said when he showed up he didn't even know how to put the football pads on.  He turned into a fantastic player. He then said "You're gonna be one of those people who does that."
He asked me a couple more questions about high school and teams. Then for some reason I said, "I started ballet when I was 12 by the time I was fifteen I was a soloist."
Then he told me again, "you're gonna be one of those players that comes out and never did it in high school."
And I said, "maybe, (looking down kinda biting my lip. I was avoiding eye contact.)" and he looks me directly in the eyes and says "YES (with confidence, and that look when someone believes in you." and I looked up for a second then back down and I looked up again towards his direction then in his eyes and I said, "yes."
He kind of chuckled , with the man on the left and the woman at the desk. We continued talking for a couple minutes.
The man on the left asked me my name. I said, proudly(looking at them both in the eyes)" Sam Roan, (I had to say it twice then spell it.) he asked where I was from, I said, "Provo."
I don't remember much else of what he said. I said," It was nice to meet you." When we were done talking, and as I returned to the legends girl, I heard them say "It was nice to meet you too(with excitement)!"
Needless to say I never found the bathroom, and he might never know why I was in the hall, and I might never know why we both said the things we did. But It was a confidence builder that a complete stranger looks you directly in the eyes, with faith, love, hope, encouragement and tells you "you're going to be great."I think he also said something about making the team (meaning BYU team.) But I don't know How I'll be that good. I don't want to doubt myself but I don't want to disappoint people (especially him or myself). I don't know what this all means. But some reason those things were meant to be said.

kinda funny that I just opened my email and a scripture from my peer mentor is  John 4:18: "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear." There is another scripture about fear that I like don't know where it is. I also don't know who the two men that I met his afternoon were. But I will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment