Friday, November 11, 2011

Horses

Oh Man! I love my job! That doesn't even describe how much I love my job!  Yesterday was my 4th day at work and it was a blast. I love my boss. She's funny and she trusts me, for the most part. she's very direct in what she says which is nice. Normally I go over and I am on clean the manure out of the field. Then I bring the horse (I work with) in, and brush her and saddle her up, and lounge her. Usually she goes out and get her other horse and we brush them both, and then her horse Lacey with just be tied up outside the barn, or we'll work both of them in the arena. which they aren't really used to. but yesterday she had to clean off her boat and tractor, so I got to take Poka (Polka, poke-a not sure how to spell her name) out and brush her and Lacey was so antsy and running up and down the pasture. She was freaking out. so i  put her in the stall while I brushed off Poka. And Poka she's 17 and cinchy. She also has weird sores on her feet, sits in her hips all the time, and her farrier a while back was weird and trimmed her too short so she's been getting new shoes every couple weeks during the summer to fix it (with the new farrier).  Also She's really patient, she has no rules for personal bubbles, but her and lacey like to follow me around. Sometimes if they're in my way I'll walk somewhere opposite of where I want to be then run back. They eventually come back. But it's fun.

Yesterday was a good day for Poka. she was calm, and was trying her best not to bite, or be antsy. Which was hard, because she has an electric wheelchair around (which she isn't used to), there were loud noise going on like a power washer and some crazy loud motorcycles. It usually gets tough when I brush her. she's got sensitive skin but she loves rolling in the dirt so I use a metal and hard plastic curry combs. she's getting better for me to read, and normally I talk to her while I brush her. Then I brush her mane. Then comes the saddle blanket, and the saddle. Understand she is a big horse. The chest straps on her saddle she's been using takes all but one hole on the side and barely reaches the cinch/girth. The cinch is usually hard to do, but yesterday she tried so hard not to bite and she was great. She's also sensitive where the cinch goes which makes it tough to tighten it. but she would grit her teeth and turn her head the other way instead of trying to bite me. I love this horse.

On Monday when we were working her right side (being on the inside), she got spooked so we worked a little harder on it (which was also her harder side). It was weird yesterday she was really responsive on that side, she doesn't like to go out and tries to trick me and go the other way. but she did good. It got to the point near the end where I could just make sounds and she would change speeds (walk-trot, trot-canter/lope, lope-trot, trot-walk) and I wouldn't have to say, "easy, giddy up, lope" the one i did have to say was "whoa." she's a great horse. I don't have pictures but i'll try to peice together what they look like for you.

also when Poka is in my way I can put by hand on her noise and say, "back" and click and she does it. Lacey doesn't really do it. 

Poka
 Chesnut-ish color white a white blaze
Her mane is a lighter color though.
 She also has 4 small white socks.
if you don't catch her the first time you go into the pasture, good luck.


Lacey ->
Black witha white star
loves being in your personal bubble.
gets antsy
loves apples
can smell any horse edible food that has touched your hand even if it's no longer there.








Anyway I got a 65% on my second American Heritage test and only studied like 6 hours. which is 1% better then I did last time when I did most of the readings.
I got a 66% on a chemistry test, which I thought I failed. I studies do hard for that test though and I got 2% better then the first test I took in that class this semester.
I have a Book of Mormon, Calc, and Chem test next week. it's going to be a fun week. anyway that's the update.





No comments:

Post a Comment